Indian-inspired red lentil dahl
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 heaped tbsp ginger paste
- 1 can (~1 cup) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 cup vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk (light)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup spinach
- Cook brown rice according to package instructions.
- Heat the EVOO over low-medium heat in a large pot and add the onion. Cook the onion until softened, about 5 minutes, then add the garlic, ginger and tomatoes. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, vegetable broth, coconut milk followed by the spices (cumin, turmeric, coriander seeds, and cayenne pepper) and bring to boil. Once boiling, cover the pot with a lid and reduce heat to low. Allow the dhal to simmer for about 20 minutes until it thickens, and the lentils are tender. Just before removing from heat, stir in the spinach.
- Serve with brown rice and enjoy!
For more great recipes, visit us on Instagram @the.guthealthdietitian
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our Free Monthly Newsletter to receive the latest news and updates from our team.